Tag: "Monuments Prague 1"

Page 5 (of 17)« First...34567...Last »
Pha1 - kostel panny Marie Vitezne101010_004

10. 4. 2017

Church of Our Lady of Victory – basic information

Kostel Panny Marie Vítězné (eng. Church of Our Lady of Victory or Church of the Virgin Mary the Victorious) in the Lesser Town can appeal to some of you as quite a common sacred construction. However,the opposite is true. It is an exceptional significant architectural monument protecting the worldwide adored statue of the Infant Jesus of Prague behind its walls. » More »

Jezulátko

10. 4. 2017

THE CHURCH OF OUR LADY VICTORIOUS – the Infant Jesus of Prague (il Bambino di Praga)

Church of the Virgin Mary the Victorious was built on a site were originally the Church of the Holy Trinity stood, the oldest baroque place of worship in Prague which was finished in 1613 by Giovanni Mario Filippi for German Lutherans. In 1624 the church was handed over to the Carmelites who turned it around » More »

10. 4. 2017

Nerudova Street

Following the traces of Jan Neruda and uphill towards the Prague Castle. We will take another pleasant walk to the center of the capital city again, this time we will visit one of the Prague´s most familiar streets.  The original name of the street was the Sporrengasse, which means „the Spur Street“. We won´t keep you guessing any more, we are talking about the famous Nerudova Street. So, let´s go uphill to the residence of a famous Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda. Let´s explore the beauties of the street leading from the Lesser-Town Square as far as the gates of the Prague Castle, the street which once used to be part of the Royal Route. » More »

10. 4. 2017

Manes Bridge – significant landmark on the river Vltava

If you make for Prague down the river Vltava you will count several significant bridges. The ninth of them down the stream is Mánes Bridge(Czech: Mánesův most). So today we will learn about the connection between Jan Palach Square in the Old Town and Klárov(Prague district) in the Lesser Town. » More »

10. 4. 2017

Mánes Bridge – Curiosities

There used to be so-called Iron or Rudolph´s footbridge where we nowadays transfer Mánes Bridge. The footbridge was constructed between 1868 – 69 and it was the work of Akciové družstvo (Stock Association). The footbridge was raising under the patronage of engineer Schön and also architect Wesselý. » More »

PHA-Dům u kamenného zvonu07

9. 4. 2017

The House at the Stone Bell

The House at the Stone Bell on the south side of the square is perhaps the most attractive building on the Old Town Square. It was probably the property of Queen Eliška Přemyslovna, the wife of King John of Luxemburg and was originally a Romanesque structure, proof of which are the 12th-century walls in the cellars. » More »

PHA-Staroměstská radnice16

9. 4. 2017

Old Town Square

ikona_disabled22Alongside Prague Castle the Old Town Square is the most important place in Prague. Its long history goes back to the 11th century when the square formed the crossroads of several long-distance trade routes and served as a marketplace. It was known across the whole of Europe at that time. » More »

Nový obrázek3

9. 4. 2017

Prague’s Jewish community has a history going back a very long way indeed

Prague’s Jewish community has a history going back a very long way indeed. Jewish merchants and money lenders were settling in Prague as early as the 10th century. The original community in the Malá Strana moved in the middle of the 12th century to Josefov. » More »

Pha1 - Klausova synagoga06

9. 4. 2017

Klausen Synagogue in Prague

On our tour of Jewish sights in Prague we cannot leave out a very important building which is situated in close proximity of the Old Jewish Cemetery  and thus forms a part of the Jewish Town. We are speaking of the Klausen Synagogue (czech Klausová synagoga) which is one of the six historical premises of the Jewish Museum in Prague. » More »

9. 4. 2017

CHURCH OF THE VIRGIN MARY VICTORIOUS – HOME OF THE PRAGUE INFANT JESUS

This Lesser Town church which used to be a protestant ornatory was built thank to the German Lutherans in 1611. The building was completed two years later and called by the German protestants the church of the Holy Trinity. » More »

Page 5 (of 17)« First...34567...Last »