Tag: "Monuments Prague 1"

Page 17 (of 17)« First...1314151617

15. 8. 2009

THE THUN-HOHENSTEIN PALACE

Now the Italian Embassy, this palace was built in 1721-26 by Giovanni Santini, originally for the Kolowrat family. Matyáš Bernard Braun placed two gigantic eagles beside the entrance, symbols of the Kolowrat family. » More »

14. 8. 2009

The Morzinsky Palace

This baroque palace on the lefthand side of Nerudova Street replaced four old houses and was given its current appearance by Giovanni Santini in 1713-14. The façade was decorated by Ferdinand Maxmilián Brokoff with statues of Moors, » More »

Kostel Panny Marie pod řetězem01

8. 8. 2009

MALTÉZSKÉ SQUARE

ikona_disabled22This square gets its name from the Priory of the Maltese Knights which can be found there. At the northern end of the square stands a statue of St John the Baptist (by Ferdinand Maxmilián Brokoff), the patron saint of the Maltese Knights. » More »

001

4. 8. 2009

The Charles Bridge is the longest in central Europe

ikona_disabled22Charles Bridge replaced the Judith Bridge which had spanned the Vltava since the late 12th century. The Judith Bridge was the longest in central Europe (514m long) until it was swept away in a flood in 1342. It was Charles IV’s idea to build a new bridge (originally called simply the Stone Bridge). » More »

Page 17 (of 17)« First...1314151617