Tag: "Easy-Access Sights"

Page 1 (of 2)12
MAiseloova s.

11. 4. 2017

THE MAISEL SYNAGOGUE – Renaissance synagogue

ikona_disabled22This Renaissance synagogue was built by the head of the Jewish community, Mordechai Maisel in 1590-93 as a private place of worship. Maisel was granted permission to build a synagogue by Emperor Rudolf II. » More »

PHA01_pomnik mistra Jana Husa07

10. 4. 2017

The Jan Hus Monument commemorates the life of the famous religious reformer

Commemorates the life of the famous religious reformer. It stands on the northern side of the Old Town Square. This group of statues created by Ladislav Šaloun in 1915 represents two groups of people; the first are the victorious Hussite warriors, the second are Protestants forced into exile 200 years later. » More »

PHA-Staroměstská radnice16

9. 4. 2017

Old Town Square

ikona_disabled22Alongside Prague Castle the Old Town Square is the most important place in Prague. Its long history goes back to the 11th century when the square formed the crossroads of several long-distance trade routes and served as a marketplace. It was known across the whole of Europe at that time. » More »

Nový obrázek3

9. 4. 2017

Prague’s Jewish community has a history going back a very long way indeed

Prague’s Jewish community has a history going back a very long way indeed. Jewish merchants and money lenders were settling in Prague as early as the 10th century. The original community in the Malá Strana moved in the middle of the 12th century to Josefov. » More »

PHA-Ungelt02

8. 4. 2017

UNGELT – A walled courtyard housing a customs post for merchants entering the Old Town

ikona_disabled22A walled courtyard housing a customs post for merchants entering the Old Town was situated here as early as the 12th century. Every merchant had to submit his goods and pay duty (um Geld – Geld is German for Money, hence the name). In return the ruler would guarantee his safety. Customs duty was paid here until the end of the 16th century. » More »

Pha1 - Staroměstská radnice_web001

7. 4. 2017

The Old Town Hall was founded in 1338

The Old Town Hall (Staroměstská radnice) was founded in 1338. It is comprised of 5 individual houses which were gradually joined together into one building.The dominating feature of the Old Town Hall is its 69.5m high tower dating from the late 14th century, with an ornate oriel window, part of the chapel, on the eastern side. » More »

PHA-Dům u Černé Matky Boží02

6. 4. 2017

THE BLACK MADONNA HOUSE – Museum of Czech cubism

ikona_disabled22The Black Madonna House of is situated at the corner of Celetná Street and Ovocný trh. It was built in 1911 – 1912 by the architect Josef Gočár in the cubist style. With some exceptions, cubist architecture is specific to the Czech lands and this building is one of the best examples. » More »

PHA-Obecni dum

6. 4. 2017

THE MUNICIPAL HOUSE – It was here that an independent Czechoslovak Republic was declared

ikona_disabled22The Municipal House situated next to the Powder Tower was built by the City of Prague in 1906-12 and designed by architects Balšánek and Polívka. » More »

Pražský hrad

31. 3. 2017

Prague Castle is an unmissable part of any visit to the Czech capital.

ikona_disabled22Prague Castle is an unmissable part of any visit to the Czech capital. It symbolises a thousand years of history. It was founded in 880 – 890 as a Romanesque fort, the remnants of which can still be found under the paving stones on the third courtyard. » More »

Pha1 - Staromestske namestia Tynsky chram028

30. 3. 2017

The Gothic Church of Our Lady before Týn with its 80m high twin towers and Tycho Brahe

ikona_disabled22The Gothic Church of Our Lady before Týn with its 80m high twin towers, of which the southernmost is noticeable thicker than the other, competes with the tower of the Old Town Hall across the square. » More »

Page 1 (of 2)12