2017 Prague Candy Festival

UNGELT – A walled courtyard housing a customs post for merchants entering the Old Town

PHA-Ungelt02

ikona_disabled22A walled courtyard housing a customs post for merchants entering the Old Town was situated here as early as the 12th century. Every merchant had to submit his goods and pay duty (um Geld – Geld is German for Money, hence the name). In return the ruler would guarantee his safety. Customs duty was paid here until the end of the 16th century.

The original shape of the courtyard with two gates either end has remained.

Around the Ungelt a hospital and church for the merchants were built and in 1135 a pharmacy was added, the oldest in Prague. In houses near the two gates to the courtyard one can still find remains of Romanesque houses in the cellars (at the turn of the 13th century, when Prague was experiencing huge problems with flooding, the whole of the Old Town was raised by 3.5—4m, meaning the ground floor of the buildings we see today would have been the first floor of Romanesque era structures).

In the enclosed courtyard stands the Granovský House, one of the best preserved Renaissance buildings in Prague. The loggia of the wing we can see from the courtyard is decorated with religious and mythical motifs.

Barrier-Free Entry: yes

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Photo Gallery:


« « THE BLACK MADONNA HOUSE – Museum of Czech cubism | The Jan Hus Monument commemorates the life of the famous religious reformer » »