2017 Prague Candy Festival

THE MAISEL SYNAGOGUE – Renaissance synagogue

MAiseloova s.

ikona_disabled22This Renaissance synagogue was built by the head of the Jewish community, Mordechai Maisel in 1590-93 as a private place of worship. Maisel was granted permission to build a synagogue by Emperor Rudolf II. Maisl, one of the richest merchants in Prague, had lent the emperor money for his war against the Turks. He used his fortune, which according to legend he acquired from wood elves as a young pauper, to build the synagogue, pave the streets of the Jewish Town, build a hospital and enlarge the cemetery.

The Maisel Synagogue was built as a grand structure, fitted out with valuable ritual objects. When it was built it would have been the largest synagogue in Prague, but since then it has been rebuilt several times and reduced in size. Its current appearence dates from the turn of the 19th century when it was given a neo-Gothic facelift by architect J.M. Weltmüller.

During the Nazi occupation the synagogue served as a store for confiscated Jewish property. Today it houses a collection of liturgical objects belonging to the Jewish Museum, which mainly originate from that confiscated property.

Permanent exhibition:

History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia from the beginning of colonization till the beginning of emancipation.

Contact:

Maisel Synagogue – Jewish Museum
Maiselova 10
Praha 1 – Staré Mesto/Josefov
Web: http://www.synagogue.cz

Opening hours:

April – October 9 – 18 daily except on Sat and Jewish feasts
November – March 9 – 16.30 daily except on Sat and Jewish feasts

Admission:

Barrier-Free Entry: yes

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Photo Gallery:

MAiseloova s.

This Renaissance synagogue was built by the head of the Jewish community, Mordechai Maisel in 1590-93 as a private place of worship. Maisel was granted permission to build a synagogue by Emperor Rudolf II. Maisl, one of the richest merchants in Prague, had lent the emperor money for his war against the Turks. He used his fortune, which according to legend he acquired from wood elves as a young pauper, to build the synagogue, pave the streets of the Jewish Town, build a hospital and enlarge the cemetery.

The Maisel Synagogue was built as a grand structure, fitted out with valuable ritual objects. When it was built it would have been the largest synagogue in Prague, but since then it has been rebuilt several times and reduced in size. Its current appearence dates from the turn of the 19th century when it was given a neo-Gothic facelift by architect J.M. Weltmüller.

During the Nazi occupation the synagogue served as a store for confiscated Jewish property. Today it houses a collection of liturgical objects belonging to the Jewish Museum, which mainly originate from that confiscated property.

« « Franz Kafka Museum – Hegertova cihelna, artshop Prague 1 | The Clementinum – the largest Jesuit building in the Czech lands » »