2017 Prague Candy Festival

Telephone Exchange in Fibichova street

Pha3 - Ustredna ve Fibichovy_110306_006

Now we will learn about the history of Mezinárodní telefonní a telegrafní ústředna (International Telephone and Telegraph Exchange) which is located in Fibichova street in Prague´s Žižkov. The exchange for switching phone calls is not just a significant historic building but particularly a place which has always played an important role in interpersonal communication.

All about: Telephone Exchange in Fibichova street read here

Telephone Exchange Žižkov Prague 3 - International Telephone and Telegraph Exchange in Fibichova street
The unique Žižkov panorama is, besides the Žižkov TV Tower, formed also by the building of the International Telephone and Tepegraph Exchange. It stretches on the boundary of  Fibichova, Křížkovského and Kubelíkova streets. The building was constructed between 1922 – 1925. The construction was performed under the supervision of Bohumír Kozák, a significant 20th century  Czech architect, whose most noted constructions are e.g. the building of Thomayer University Hospital in Prague - Krč, or the house of radio station in Poděbrady. The decoration of the front face of the exchange was the work of Ladislav Kofránek, who performed his four plastic sculptures in 1926. The two mighty column towers, which raise above the neighbouring houses with dignity, are the dominating feature of the whole building.

International Telephone and Telegraph Exchange in Fibichova street Opening of a new exchange
The ceremonious opening of the International Telephone and Telegraph Exchange took place on June 19th, 1927. More than one hundred and twenty intercity and international conduicts were connected to the new exchange. The exchange was employing three hundred and fifty people. Each of the exchange workplaces was equipped by the manual switches of the Siemens-Halske system. The main goal of the telephone exchange was connecting the calls. Consequently the building belonged to Český Telecom (Czech Telecom), the predecessor of Telefónica O2 company.

All about: Prague 3 Monuments click here

Curiosity memorial plaque for the victims of the occupation from the period 1939 – 1945
On the building of the International Telephone and Telegraph Exchange you will currently find a  memorial plaque for the victims of the occupation from the period 1939 – 1945.

Address:
Fibichova ulice,
Praha 3, 130 00

GPS:
50°4’54.997″N, 14°26’56.515″E
GPS:
50.0819436N, 14.4490319E

Transport Connections:
Tram: 11 – Jiřího z Poděbrad
Bus: 136, 175 Flora (from there go by tram Nr. 11 to the station Jiřího z Poděbrad)
Metro: A – Jiřího z Poděbrad (from there along Milešovská street, then Fibichova street)

Transport connection:
Search for connections: click here
Information on Prague transport: click here
Information on Prague public transport: click here

Other interesting links
All about:
Prague 1 Monuments more read  here
All about: Prague 2 Monuments more read  here
All about: Prague 3 Monuments more read heres
All about: Prague Castle more read here
All about: Royal route and the coronation of King more read here
All about: Petrin Hill more read here

 

« « The Old Jewish Cemetery in Prague´s Žižkov | Palace Akropolis » »