St. Stephen´s Church

Today we will explore the gorgeous Neo-Gothic St. Stephen´s Church. The church where Matyáš Bernard Braun, the most significant sculptor of the Czech Baroque period is buried is located in the New Town of Prague.

St. Stephen´s Church

The history
St. Stephen´s Church is situated in the New Town in Štěpánská street. Since the New Town was founded by Charles IV. there have been two parish churches. In the upper part where the former settlement Rybníček used to stretch the parish church was St. Stephen´s. The church was founded in 1351 however its construction was carried out in several stages. The main aisle was only completed in 1392 and the church tower in 1401. The church was administrated by the Old Town Knights of the Cross.

The construction St. Stephen´s Church
The church was built as a splendid three-aisle Gothic building. In 1686 St. Cornelius Chapel was attached to the church in the southern part. The Chapel of the Branbergers was built in the northern part in 1736. In 1866 a beautiful Neo-Gothic vestibule was annexed. A few years later there was a complete reconstruction of the church in the Neo-Gothic style thank to the architect Rocker.

Dominating elements
The fifty-seven meters high tower with a Neo-Gothic helmet
at its top is the dominating factor of the whole construction. There is a campanile, too, which can be found in the southern part of the church. It used to be surrounded by a churchyard in the past. There is just the hung bell „Stephen“ these days created by master George of the New Town in 1490.  The bell is said to weight more than two thousand kilos.

buy cialis

ng> PRAGUE  MONUMENTS  CENTRAL

The curiosities St. Stephen´s Church - interior
There are a few rarities in the church, too – for instance, Matyáš Bernard Braun, the most significant sculptor of the Czech Baroque period, was buried here in 1738. Unfortunatelly, so many coffins were found in the tomb in 1902 that the coffin of the noted sculptor Braun could not be detected.

Lucie Niebauerová

Address:

Štěpánská
Praha – Nové Město

Connection:
Tram: 4, 6, 10, 16, 22, 51, 56, 57, 59 – Štěpánská
Bus: 510 – Štěpánská
Public transport
Find a connection

GPS: 50°4’33.96″N, 14°25’27.84″E

All about St. Stephen´s Church

All about Prague 1 Monuments

All about Prague 2 Monuments

All about Prague Monuments


zp8497586rq

« « Exhibition – Let`s Visit a Cave! | Exhibition – Czech film puppets » »