Rosenberg Palace (czech: Rožmberský palác) has been part of the Prague Castle seightseeing tour since April 2010 and it used to be the Institute educating real aristocratic ladies from young noblewomen in the past. Before we look inside we need to learn about the history and everything that happened behind the palace walls in the past.
Palace in the hands of the lords of Rosenberg
The first records about the origin of the houses which form the extensive building complex date the Rosenberg Palace back to 13th and 14th century. Part of the palace became property of the lords of the Rosenberg in 1513. Then there was a fire a few years later with reconstruction followed; when, thanks to the architect Hans Vlach, a four-winged palace with an arcade in the two shorter wings and a gate leading to Jiřská street could grow up. After the Rosenbergs gained the neighbouring houses, they built a beautiful extensive garden in the west. In 1600 the Rosenberg Palace was acquired by the Emperor Rudolph II, who joint it with the Royal Palace.
The palace received an entirely new second floor at the beginning of the 18th century. There was a reconstruction of the Institute of noblewomen between 1753 – 1756, however the ceremonial opening was at the end of the year 1755 already.
What was the purpose of such an Institute?
The Institute was built for education of thirty noble daughters who were older than 24. The main role had been played so far by an unmarried archduchess from a Habsburg-Lotri
n family.The first abbess of the Institute was the archduchess Maria Anna, the daughter of the empress Maria Theresa (czech: císařovna Marie Terezie). The emblem of the order was the image of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, set in the golden oval medal. Young ladies were staying in the first two storeys of the Institute, the other premises contained the apartment of the abbess, the capitular chamber, the sacrarium, the lounge, the Baroque Holy Trinity Chapel and the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary and the rooms for the service supply.
What has survived from the ancient times
From the original Rosenberg Palace, the two courtyards have survived. Furthermore the groundfloor of the Rosenberg Palace with the entrance arcade and the east wing of the former Schwanberg Palace remain. The cellars located underneath the central courtyard and the basement along the south castle wall, which you can still see, have been preserved.
The Institute of noblewomen was closed and consequently dissolved on May 1st on 1919. But what happened to the area of the former Institute? They did not deteriorate because the building was rented to the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Several interior modifications had been carried out before it started to operate here. The entire reconstruction was carried out between 1996 – 2007; however all the construction works of the Institute of noblewomen were finished only in January 2008. The Rosenberg Palace has been opened to the public since 2010, and is now part of the Prague Castle seightseeing tour. You are advised to pay extra attention to this extensive building during your walks through the castle gardens.
GPS: 50 ° 5′29 .04 „N 14 ° 24′1 .08″ E
tram: number 1,8,15,18,20,22,26,
subway station , underground stop – Line A – Malostranská
Find a connection