Those of you who would like to visit Petřín Hill with the lookout tower and the other attractions and who do not feel like walking in the gardens and parks of Petřín can get there alternatively – by a ground-based funicular. It is very quick and comfortable too.
All about: Petrin Hill
The construction of the funicular started in 1891. The transport was performed by a rail system and two vehicles. The first test run took place on July 13th, 1891, and the regular passenger transport started a few days later. The wagons were pulled by a water prevalence system and one ride took about six minutes. The funicular was in operation non-stop until the WW1. After the war it was operated until 1921 but the costs were too high and therefore it was interrupted.
Long-term interruption of the operation
In 1931 the funicular became property of the Prague Electric Enterprises. The new owner prolonged and consequently electrified the funicular. It was entirely rebuilt and the vehicles were reconstructed and in June 1932 it started to operate regularly again. The operation of the funicular was temporarily interrupted during the mobilization period in 1938 and also at the end of WW2 in 1945. After the war the funicular was reconstructed again. There was a landslip on Petřín in 1965 caused by intensive rain. The funicular was damaged and the operation had to be finished for security reasons. The landslips occured repeatedly and the funicular was forgotten for many years.
Its renovation was approved only in 1981 and the construction works started two years later. The brand new vehicles were made and the festive opening of the regular operation of the funicular took place on June 15th, 1985. One month later a half way station Nebozízek started to operate, too. Since then the funicular has been operating until today, with just a few reparations.
The more than 500 meters long funicular moves on the rails both uphill and downhill with help of a towrope system. The funicular is run and owned by the Prague Public Transport Company and therefore it comes under the public transport system and the Prague integrated Transit.
- April – October daily 9.00 am – 11.30 pm
- November – March daily 9.00 am – 11.20 pm
- winter period (October – April) operates in 15 minute interval
- summer period (April – October) operates in 10 minute interval
One ride takes 4 minutes, to Nebozízek station 2 minutes, the combination of vehicles contains two wagons, it traverses 130 metres of height
MHD (public transport) tickets excluding non-transfer tickets are also valid for the funicular ride. The fare is the same as for the public transport (MHD).
No barrier-free access.
Újezd, Praha 1 – Malá Strana
Phone: +420 257 320 814
Fax: +420 257 329 449
Tram: 9,12, 20, 22, 57 – Újezd station
Bus: 176, 510 – Švandovo divadlo station (then go by tram Nr. 12, 20 to Újezd station)
Metro – line B, Anděl station (then go by tram Nr. 12, 20 to Újezd station)
From Újezd station walk uphill towards the fenicular station
GPS: 50°4’57.688″N, 14°24’13.451″E
All about: Prague 1 Monuments
All About: Prague 2 Monuments
All about: Prague 3 Monuments
All about: Prague Castle
All about: Royal route and the coronation of King
All about: Petrin Hill