One of the landmarks of the Charles Square is the vast area of the New Town Hall. The hall is a complex of several medieval buildings, the oldest of which dates around 1377 (part of Vodickova Street).
In the 16th century, the town hall was rebuilt, the reconstruction was one of two famous architects: Benedict Ried or Wohlmut Boniface for the royal faily of Jagiellons. The east wing of the New Town Hall was rebuilt but the Gothic hall, the tavern, and the cross vaults fro the early 15th century were preserved. The hall tower, the dominant feature of the town hall, is open to the public; fro which a beautiful and slightly unusual view of the Charles Square, Vyserhrad and the whole city panorama can be taken. The Gallery of the tower has 221 steps up a height of 42 meters. Besides this, entering the city hall tower you can see one of the most interesting sights: The Metal Elbow of Prague. It is a vintage furlongs in the form of iron rods whose length is exactly one elbow, i.e. 591.4 mm.
Historically, the New Town Hall entered Czech History in 1419, during the First Prague Defenestration, the moment which can be regarded as the beginning of the Hussite revolution. On 30 July 1419, a procession led by radical Hussite priest Jan Želivský demanded the release of the imprisoned followers of the proto-reformation preacher Jan Hus. It was at the New Town Council, Novoměstští Councillor, where during the negotiations a turbulent crowd outside the windows of the town hall began shouting threats. Someone threw a stone and initiated the well known event: The angry mob invaded the town hall and threw a few burghers, two aldermen, and the mayor out the window onto ready spears and pitchforks. From that moment the history of Prague and the whole country were marked by radical Hussite revolt, which ended up in the battle of Lipan.
After the unification of Prague during the reign of JOseph II the town was was used as a notorious prison and courthouse. Hrere, for example, the leader of the local insurgency Jan Sladky Kozina waited to be executed. A funny and interesting footnote of the town hall prison is the name of the two rooms on the ground floor, which are named after the family names of the first two prisoners: sausage soup.
Charles Square – here