Church of St. Gall was present in the coronation feasts of the kings of Bohemia

Pha1 - Havelske trziste110130_001

In place where there are the streets Havelská and Rytířská these days, namely between mezi Uhelný and Ovocný trh (Coal and Fruit Markets), the so-called Svatohavelské tržiště (St. Gall´s Market Place) used to be in the past (in the 13th century). This remarkable centre was joined to the Old Town Square and Železná ulice (Iron Street). The street was noted as a residential place of Prague´s significant ironmongers.

Church of St. Gall (kostel sv. Havla)

St. Gall´s Market Place It was interesting that the market place was extended as far as the level of the contemporary Old Town fortifications. Kostel svatého Havla (church of St. Gall) was built right in the middle of the market place. The market place was not determined only for commercial purposes. It was also the place of great celebrations such as ceremonious feasts that accompanied the coronation ceremonies of the Bohemian kings.

PRAGUE 1 MONUMENTS  CENTRAL

Coronation feasts Church of St. Gall
One of the feasts is described in Zbraslavská chronicle by Petr Žitavský. For instance, he relates to the coronation of Wenceslas II. The ceremonious feast took place on June 2nd, 1297. The chronicler is mentioning special piping which was arranged in the market place and which was bringing wine into a tank where it was available for everyone.  The coronation itself took place in the current Kinský Park in Smíchov. Fifty years later, i.e. on September 2nd, 1347, St. Gall´s Market Place was celebrating the coronation of Charles IV and his first wife Blanca of Valois.

St. Gall´s skull
As we know very well, the Emperor Charles IV was famous for his collecting activities which were focused mainly on accumulation of remains or objects of remarkable persons. In his collection there was even the skull of the abbot St. Gall which he later donated to the church. The skull had been at the request of Charles IV brought from the Swiss monastery  Sankt Gallen.

The Hussite Period
However, the church played an important role in history during the Hussite period. In the 14th century, it was the place of work of Hus´ predecessors, namely Konrád Waldhauser and Jan Milíč of Kroměříž and in 1404 of the master Jan Hus himself.

Lucie Niebauerová

Address:
Havelská ulice
Praha 1

GPS: 50°5’8.16″N, 14°25’19.92″E

Connection:
Metro – line A, B – station Můstek – from there along the street na Můstku, turn right  to the street Havelská after you pass two blocks
Tram: 3, 9, 14, 24, 51, 52, 54, 55, 56, 58 – Václavské náměstí – turn left, walk downward across Václavské náměstí, then along the street na Můstku, turn right  to the street Havelská after you pass two blocks
Public transport

Find a connection

All about Church of St. Gall

All about Prague 1 Monuments

All about Prague Monuments

« « St. Michael´s Church in Kinský Garden | Historical and contemporary curiosities of Sova´Mills » »