Church of St. Francis of Assisi

Pha1 - kostel sv. Františka z Assisi02

If you take a walk along the Royal Route, you will also reach Křížovnické náměstí (Knight of the Cross Square) in Prague. And where exactly is the square to be found?  There is Klementinum on one side of the square and Charles Bridge(czech:  Karlův most) on the opposite. Another view point is the church of St. Francis of Assisi(czech: kostel sv. Františka z Assisi) and we will learn more about this one right now.

Church of St. Francis of Assisi

The history Křížovnické náměstí (eng:Knight of the Cross Square)
The church of St. Francis of Assisi was built in Baroque style between 1679 – 1685. It replaced the original church of St. Francis of Assisi of 1270 and it was built by the architects Gaudenzio Casanova and Domenico Canevalle according to construction plans of Jean Baptiste Mathey. The fact that the church was really built on the remains of the former church can be proved by three round gaps in the floor. The church was consecrated in honour of St. Francis of Assisi in 1668, three years after its finishing. The consecration was carried out by the Prague archbishop Jan Bedřich of Wallenstein.

PRAGUE 1 MONUMENTS  CENTRAL

Church of St. Francis of Assisi (czech: kostel sv. Františka z Assisi) - interior Interesting facts about the church
The dominating feature of the church is especially the mighty, forty meters high bricked cupola. We will find exceptional elements also inside the church, especially when viewing the sculptural decoration, the work of M.V. Jäckel and O.F. Quitainer. The church interior is made of Slivenec marble and there is a tin baptistery from 1483 to be found here. The fresco painting by V. V. Reiner and also the painting on the main altar by  J.K. Liška, which demonstrates the Stigmatization of St. Francis of Assisi, are ranked among other treasures that decorate the interior. This work is considered the most valuable of Liška´s works. There is a curiosity – the extensive underground corridors located underneath the church.

PRAGUE  MONUMENTS  CENTRAL

Order of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star
There is a monastery of the Knights with the Red Star adjacent to the church. The order was originally established as hospital fraternity by Agnes the Přemyslid in 1233. The fraternity promoted to the order of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star in 1237. The monastery with a hospital was built close to the church of St. Francis of Assisi in 1252 where the Knights of the Cross settled down.. The monastery was located near the Judith Bridge which resulted in many duties for them. Besides they had to take care of the bridge they were obliged to levy customs and toll. The monastery was in its history several times rebuilt and reconstructed. It was badly damaged due to the siege of Prague by the Swedish troops in the 17th century yet due to work of C. Lurago, F.D. Orsi and also K.I. Dientzenhofer it was rebuilt again. It is interesting to know that there is a remain of the bridge tower of the former Judith Bridge

Address:
Kostel svatého Františka z Assisi (church of St. Francis of Assisi)
Křižovnické nám. (Knights of the Cross Square)
Praha 1 – Staré Město (Prague 1 – Old Town)

Connection:
Bus: 133 – Staroměstská station
Tram: 17, 18, 53 – Staroměstská station
Metro – A – Staroměstská station
Find a connection

GPS: 50°5’11.189″N, 14°24’51.478″E

All Church of St. Francis of Assisi

All about Prague 1 Monuments

All about Prague Monuments


« « Petřín – St. Lawrence Church, Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre and Calvary Chapel | Sovovy mlyny – Let´s visit the oldest mills of Prague » »