Hradčanské Square

PHA-Arcibiskupsky palac04

The Archbishop ś Palace (Arcibiskupský palác) in Prague

The Archbishop’s Palace also houses the precious archbishop’s carriage, one of only two in Europe to have survived. This building stands to the righthand side of the gates to Prague Castle. It is high baroque in style with a yellowy Rococo façade decorated by Jan Josef Wirch in 1760, the same man who had rebuilt the palace in 1722 – 25. In the centre of the façade visitors will notice the large archbishop’s coat of arms. » More »

PHA-Stenbersky palac01

THE ŠTERNBERK PALACE – Since 1949 the palace has housed the National Gallery’s exhibition of Old European Art.

The Šternberk Palace, accessed through a passageway in the lefthand gate of the Archibishop’s Palace, is a baroque work by Giovanni Santini and Domenico Martinelli (among others) dating from 1698 – 1707. » More »

PHA_hradcanske namesti01

Hradčanské Square forms a kind of forecourt to Prague Castle

Hradčanské Square forms a kind of forecourt to Prague Castle. Its current appearance dates back to the mid 18th century, a time when grand Renaissance and baroque palaces were being constructed here. The dominant architectural style of the square is baroque. » More »

Kopie - PHA-Petrin01

Historically, Hradčany was the third of Prague’s independent town

Historically, Hradčany was the third of Prague’s independent town. It grew up around the castle (roughly today’s Hradčanské Square), an area inhabited since the 10th century. It was officially founded around 1320 and governed directly by the burgrave of Prague Castle. » More »

Sloup Nejsv.Trojice

THE TRINITY COLUMN – Malostranské square

At the top of Malostranské Square, infront of the Church of St Nicholas, a monument was built in 1715 to commemorate the terrible plague which hit Prague in 1713-14. » More »

PHOTOGALLERY

MAP (open in new window)


Related posts: